Mr Nick Barker, BDS MSc MFGDP (UK)
Honorary Clinical Lecturer
Tel: 01376 562087
Nick qualified in 1990 from the Royal London Hospital and stayed on as a House Surgeon in Prosthetic Dentistry. He then moved out to primary care where he has continued to work ever since, expanding a 2 surgery practice into a 12 surgery practice over 2 sites incorporating a wide range of skillmix including dentists, therapists, hygienists, extended duties dental nurse.
He gained a distinction in the MSc in Restorative Dental Practice from UCL Eastman in 2009 that has enabled him to take on further roles in dentistry as well as accepting referrals for the various elements of restorative care.
His current roles include:
• Chair of the Essex Local Dental Network that involves engaging with clinicians from all walks of dentistry, dental commissioners and patients and developing the provision of dentistry throughout the County.
• Postgraduate Dental Tutor for Health Education England
• MSc lecturer in periodontology at University of Essex
• Member of the Advisory Board in Primary Dental Care at the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
• Dental Defence Expert Witness
• Member of the BDA UK Council
• Honorary Secretary of Essex BDA Branch
• Member of Essex Local Dental Committee
• Key Opinion Leader for Dentsply in restorative dentistry and endodontology
He currently teaches in a number of aspects of dentistry across England that include:
• Teaching in the MSc in periodontology at University of Essex
• Lead Tutor in the certificates for extended duties for dental nurses across Health Education East of England, enabling dental nurses to carry out clinical roles in primary care such as disease prevention and impression taking
• Postgraduate Dental Tutor at Colchester Hospital University Foundation Trust when he organises, and in part presents, the annual curriculum of dental training in relation to continuing professional development for the whole dental team
• Lecturer in restorative dentistry and endodontology at various postgraduate centres across East of England for postgraduate dentists and their teams
• Providing hands-on training for dentists in restorative dentistry and endodontology across the country as a Key Opinion Leader for Dentsply
His research interests lie in restorative dentistry and his MSc dissertation concentrated on the disinfection of dental impression materials.