Mr Edmund Bailey, BDS (hons) MFDS RCS (Ed) MPhil MOral Surg RCS (Ed)
Senior Lecturer/Honorary Consultant in Oral Surgery
Edmund graduated with BDS (hons) from the University of Liverpool in 2007; he then completed junior rotations in general dentistry and Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery in the North West. Edmund was appointed as an Academic Clinical Fellow/Specialty Registrar in Oral Surgery at the University Dental Hospital of Manchester in 2011. During his five years at Manchester, he completed an MPhil in pain control alongside a number of research projects. These included an industry-sponsored drug trial and an NIHR-funded project on patient safety in dentistry, one of the first studies in this field.
In addition to co-authoring three Cochrane systematic reviews, Edmund has published widely on a variety of topics including pain management, patient safety, dental education and evidence-based surgical techniques. He is a member of the Local Safety Standards for Invasive Procedures (LocSSIPS) national steering group at NHS England and he sits on the Council of the British Association of Oral Surgeons.
Edmund relocated to London in 2015 and, following a locum Consultant post at the Eastman Dental Hospital, he was appointed as Senior Lecturer/Honorary Consultant in Oral Surgery at QMUL in January 2017.
1. Tanna N, Steel C, Stagnell S, Bailey E. Awareness of Medication Related Osteonecrosis of the Jaws (MRONJ) amongst General Dental Practitioners. British Dental Journal, 2017; 222: 121-125.
2. Bailey E, Tickle M, Campbell S, O'Malley L. Systematic Review of Patient Safety Interventions in Dentistry. BMC Oral Health, 2015; 15: 152. DOI: 10.1186/s12903-015-0136-1
3. Bailey E. Contemporary Views of Dental Practitioners' on Patient Safety. British Dental Journal, 2015; 219 (11): 535-540.
4. Tabbenor O, Halai T, Bailey E, Coulthard P. Plasmablastic lymphoma of the oral cavity in an undiagnosed HIV-positive patient. Oral Surgery, 2015; 8: 232-237.
5. Bailey E, Rao J, Saksena A. Case Report: Fractured Needle in the Pterygomandibular Space Following Administration of an Inferior Dental Nerve Block. Dental Update, 2015; 42: 270-272.
6. Bailey E, Campbell S, Tickle M. Patient Safety in Primary Care Dentistry: where are we now? British Dental Journal, 2014. 217 (7): 339-344.
7. Coulthard P, Patel N, Bailey E, Armstrong D. Barriers to the use of morphine for the management of severe postoperative pain - A before and after study. International Journal of Surgery, 2014. 12: 150-155.
8. Coulthard P, Bailey E, Esposito M, Furness S, Renton TF, Worthington HV. Surgical techniques for the removal of mandibular wisdom teeth. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2014, Issue 7. Art. No.: CD004345. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD004345.pub2.
9. Coulthard P, Kushnerev E, Yates JM, Walsh T, Patel N, Bailey E, Renton TF. Interventions for iatrogenic inferior alveolar and lingual nerve injury. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2014, Issue 4. Art. No.: CD005293. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD005293.pub2.
10. Bailey E, Worthington HV, Coulthard P. Ibuprofen and/or paracetamol (acetaminophen) for pain relief after surgical removal of lower wisdom teeth, a Cochrane Systematic Review. British Dental Journal, 2014. 216(8): 451-5
11. Patel N, Bailey E, Mahdmina A, Lomax A, Coulthard P. Domestic Violence Education for UK and Ireland Undergraduate Dental Students: A Five-Year Perspective. Journal of Dental Education, 2014. 78(8): 1162-1166
12. Bailey E, Patel N, Coulthard P. Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs for pain after oral surgery. Oral Surgery, 2014. 7(3): 152-161
13. Coulthard P, Bailey E, Bridgman CM. Introducing Clinical Triage for Oral Surgery Referral Management in England. Oral Surgery, 2014. 7(3): 143-151.
14. Coulthard P, Bailey E, Patel N, Coulthard MB. Pain pathways, pre-emptive and protective analgesia for oral surgery. Oral Surgery, 2014. 7(2): 74-80.
15. Coulthard P, Bailey E, Patel N. Paracetamol (acetaminophen) for pain after oral surgery. Oral Surgery, 2014. 7(2): 81-86
16. Coulthard P, Patel N, Bailey E, Coulthard MB. Measuring pain after oral surgery. Oral Surgery, 2014. 7(4): 203-208.
17. Patel N, Bailey E, Coulthard P. Opioids for pain after oral surgery. Oral Surgery, 2014. 7(4): 196-202.
18. Bailey E, Worthington HV, van Wijk A, Yates JM, Coulthard P, Afzal Z. Ibuprofen and/or paracetamol (acetaminophen) for pain relief after surgical removal of lower wisdom teeth. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2013, Issue 12. Art. No.: CD004624. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD004624.pub2
19. P26 Survey of the handling of primary oral and oropharyngeal malignant tumours during their surgical resection – UK OMFS Units J. Rao, E. Bailey, K. Grimes, M. Patel British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery May 2010 (Vol. 48Supplement 1, Page S31).