Dr Lifong Zou, BSc, MSc, PhD
Tel: +44 20 7882 8624 / 8622
Lifong became a Clinical Scientist registered by HPC after being awarded her PhD on the optical measurement of free form surfaces and becoming involved with the facial laser scanning of patients. Working in an interdisciplinary environment at the Clinical Dental Biometrics Laboratory (CDBL), together with clinicians and postgraduate students, she has conducted numerous clinically-related research projects with many of them resulting in published work. As a result of this success in research, the CDBL has expanded its activities and equipment. To date, it comprises six sets of 3-D free-form surface measurement systems, mostly company-funded. These include contact (stylus) and non-contact (laser) data-capturing devices, that can directly scan living human parts, such as faces, as well as components of human prostheses, such as acetabular cups and femur heads for hip replacements, denture copies, dental study models and dental impressions.
Lifong graduated in the subject of Computer Aided Design and Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAD/CAM) with a Bachelor Degree of Science from Beijing University. In the mid-1980s, early in her career, she used one of the first 3-D CAD/CAM software programmes called CATIA (Computer Aided Three-dimensional Interactive Application, Dassault System) for designing the outline of aircrafts and simulating undercarriage tests. With this expertise she came to England, to be employed by the British Aerospace (BAe) in Hatfield, UK. Lifong has always been interested in medicine and dentistry and started to apply CAD/CAM knowledge to computer aided metrology in dentistry in 1990 in the Biometrics Lab of the Institute of Denistry. Her career, however diverse it may seem, has one thing in common – the application of the measurement of free-form surfaces. The following three pictures are samples that demonstrate few aspects in life surface measurements and image analysis.
Research interests:In vivo 3-D surface capturing, 3-D image analysis and measurements using coordinate metrology. The 3-D surface measurement applications range from facial scans to CBCT images. Few samples show below demonstrate changes after clinical interventions, that can be objectively quantified in liner, area, volumechanges at specified locations of interests.
2010: Awarded £18,518 as principle investigator from GSK Aquafresh for the project of validation of the LAVA COS digital impression system.
- null (2014) Facial biometrics of peri-oral changes in Crohn's disease. Lasers Med Sci. vol.29 (3) pp.869-874
- null (2011) Quantifying the wear of acetabular cups using coordinate metrology. WEAR. vol.271 (7-8) pp.1086-1092
- null (2010) Wear quantification of human enamel and dental glass-ceramics using white light profilometry. WEAR. vol.269 (11-12) pp.930-936
- null (2010) Taper of full-veneer crown preparations by dental students at the University of the West Indies. J Prosthodont. vol.19 (7) pp.580-585
- null (2009) Geometrics of Tooth Wear. Ware. vol.266 (5-6) pp.605-608
- null (2008) Consistency of labial finish line preparation for metal ceramic crowns: an investigation of a new bur. J Prosthodont. vol.17 (1) pp.14-19
- null (2005) Facial Scan change detection. Conference 2nd European Workshop on the Integration of Knowledge, Semantic and Digital Media Technologies (EWIMT), London, 29 November - 1 December 2005
- null (2005) Dentin exposure in tooth preparations for porcelain veneers: a pilot study. J Prosthet Dent. vol.94 (5) pp.414-420
- null (2003) Geographic distribution of porcelain veneer preparation depth with various clinical techniques. J Prosthet Dent. vol.89 (6) pp.544-550
- null (2002) A study into the variations in the labial reduction of teeth prepared to receive porcelain veneers--a comparison of three clinical techniques. Br Dent J. vol.192 (7) pp.401-404
- null (2001) Tooth size and morphology in twins. Int J Paediatr Dent. vol.11 (5) pp.333-339
- null (2001) Fissure sealant quantification by 3-D co-ordinate analysis. J DENT RES. vol.80 (4) pp.1163-1163
- null (2001) Quantification of the removal of gingival overgrowth. J DENT RES. vol.80 (4) pp.1177-1177
- null (2001) Quantification of the tooth surface exposed after gingival surgery. J DENT RES. vol.80 (4) pp.1170-1170
Zou, A Willis, Y Adegun, F Fortune (2012); Facial Biometrics of peri-oral changes in Crohn's Disease; submitted to Clinical Oral Investigations.
Rafeek R, Seymour K, Zou L (2012); Chapter - Dimensional Measurement for Dentistry; Book - Modern Metrology Concerns, ISBN 978-953-51-0584-8, edited by Luigi Cocco. P: 447-458.
BO Morris, L Zou, M Royle, C Shelton (2011); Wear Assessment of Metal-on-Metal Acetabular Cups Using a Coordinate Measuring Machine; Wear 271:1086-92.
LHH Cheng, L Zou, R Bhandari, N Ali, J Collier, and B Lee (2011); Management decision based on quantitative facial laser scanning of patients with facial dysmorphophobia and hypertrophic muscles of mastication; Abstracts of BAOMS annual scientific meeting; Nice, France, 22-24th June 2011; Vol49, p-s41.
A Theocharopoulos, L Zou, R Hill, M Cattell (2010); Wear quantification of human enamel and dental glass-ceramics using white light profilometry; Wear 269:930-6
RN Rafeek, WA Smith, KG Seymour, LF Zou, DYD Samarawickrama (2009); Taper of full veneer crown preparations by dental students in the University of the West Indies; Accepted by Journal of Prosthodontics.
L Zou, G Cherukara, P Hao, Seymour K and Samarawickrama D Y D (2009), Geometrics of tooth wear; Wear Vol.266, p205-8.
Seymour KG, Cherukara GP, Samarawickrama DYD, L Zou (2008); Consistency of labial finish-line preparation for metal ceramic crowns: an investigation of a new bur. J Prosthodont;17:14-9.
Rafeek R N, Marchan S M, Seymour K, Zou L and Samarawickrama D Y D (2006); Abutment taper of full cast crown preparations by dental students in the UWI school of dentistry; Eur. J. Orosthodont. Rest. Dent.,Vol.14 (2):63-66.
Forrester-Baker L, Seymour KG, Samarawickrama D Y D,Zou L, Cherukara G, Patel M (2005); A comparison of dimensional accuracy between three different addition cured silicone impression materials. Eur J Prosthodont Rest Dent; 13:69-74.
Nair P, Zou L and Cavallaro A (2005); Facial scan change detection, Proc. of 2nd European Workshop on the Integration of Knowledge, Semantic and Digital Media Technologies (EWIMT); London, UK; 30 Nov.-1 Dec. (Winner of the QM Electronic Engineering Showcase Event).
Cherukara G P, Davis GR, Seymour K G, Zou L and Samarawickrama D Y D (2005); Dentin exposure in tooth preparations for porcelain veneers: A pilot study; Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, Vol.94(5):414-20.
Zou L, Samarawickrama D Y D, Seymour K and Stout K(2003), Free form surface measurement using non-contact measurement methodology; XVII IMECO World Congress, Metrology in the 3rd millennium, 22-27, June 2003, Dubrovnik, Croatia; TC14, pp1882-1885.
Cherukara G P, Seymour K G, Zou L and Samarawickrama D Y D (2003), Geographic distribution of porcelain veneer preparation depth with various clinical techniques; Journal of prosthetic dentistry; Vol.89, pp544-550.
Cherukara G P, Seymour K G, Samarawickrama D Y D, G R Davis and Zou L(2003), Dentin exposure in tooth preparations for porcelain veneers, submitted to Journal of Dental Research.
Cherukara G P, Seymour K G, Samarawickrama D Y D and Zou L(2002), A study into the variations in the labial reduction of teeth prepared to receive porcelain veneers - a comparison of three clinical techniques; British Dental Journal, Vol.192, No.7, pp401-404.
Zou L, Samarawickrama D Y D, Jovanovski V and Shelton J(2001), Measurements of sequential impressions of acetabula cups from a total hip joint replacement using a non-contact measurement system; International journal of machine toos & manufacture, Vol.41, pp2023-30.
Kabban M, Fearne J, Jovanovski V and Zou L (2001);Toothe size and morphlogy in twins; International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, Vol.11, pp 333-339.
2009: Free form surface measurements in medicine and dentistry; at the Mational Free Form Centre Launch, National Physical Laboratory ( NPL), UK.
2003: An invited lecture on Free-Form Surface measurement using an optical system at the Dimensional Measurement Awareness Club (DMAC) organised by the National Physical Laboratory (NPL), UK.
PhD students 2013-2016 – XiaoLi Chen study in the measurement of alveolar bone changes in relation to the implant treatments