Crystallite Orientation in Enamel - Dr Maisoon Al-Jawad
The mission of the Caries, Hard Tissues and Material Research Theme is to undertake Fundamental and Applied Research in Biophysics and Biomaterials Relevant to Clinical Dentistry. The combination of personnel and resources means that this research grouping has skills and facilities found nowhere else in the World.
The Caries, Hard Tissues and Materials Research Theme are pioneers in the development and application of X-ray microtomography and diffraction, microradiography and solid state NMR spectroscopy to teeth. The research in this multidisciplinary group falls into two main themes: the structure of teeth and dental material science and builds on existing expertise in the area of apatite and dental biomaterials. The group's aim is to undertake fundamental and applied research in biophysics and biomaterials relevant to clinical dentistry through the development and application of novel physical methods to study oral hard tissue and polymeric restorative materials. The group has a strong focus on caries, demineralization and remineralisation as applied to oral healthcare products.
The Caries, Hard Tissues and Materials Research Theme contains the unit of Dental Physical Sciences which was formed in 2009 from the merger of the Dental Biomaterials group led by Mike Braden and Biophysics in relation to dentistry group led by Jim Elliott.
Apatite Based Oral Care Products
Glass Ionomers Cements and ART
Applications of XMT in Dentistry
Professor Robert Hill has filed several key patents on fluoride containing bioactive glasses as well as papers. These glasses can be added as remineralizing additives to toothpastes. They give controlled release of fluoride in the mouth. In 2013 Robert Hill and colleagues won the Amourers and Brasiers Venture Award and Robert Hill also got the Alan Wilson Memorial Prize.
Dr Nataliia Karpukhina is a solid state NMR spectroscopist who is an expert on halogen containing glasses. She has been using solid state 19F MAS-NMR to follow remineralization processes.
Dr Maisoon Al-Jawad is an early career researcher who is using synchrotron XRD to look at enamel mineralization caries and genetic diseases associated with defective mineralization processes.
Dr Graham Davis develops and builds machines for X-ray Microtomography and uses them to image materials in 3D at high resolution. He has used the technique to study remineralization of Carious lesions beneath Glass Ionomer Cement ART restorations.
Dr Paul Anderson is a specialist in Caries and Scanning Microradiography which he uses to follow the formation of caries like processes in teeth and his recent research has focused on the role of metal ions on enamel loss.
Professor Ferranti Wong is a clinician with a strong interest and publication track record in nano composites
Professor Alan Boyde is an expert on dental hard tissues and bone with over 400 publications and papers during the REF period in Science,
Dr Mike Cattell interests include dental ceramics and especially Leucite based porcelains. His research led to the commercial production of “Lumineeers” which forms the basis of one of the REF Impact Case studies.
Dr Mangala Patel is a polymer scientist whose recent publications include polymeric drug delivery systems for ionophoresis through the mucosa.
Dr Simon Rawlinson is a bone biologist whose main interests include the response of bone to stress and bone lineage and development.
Dr Padhraig Flemming is an orthodontist interested in the clinical effectiveness of orthodiontic procedures.
Dr David Gillam is a Periodontologist and expert on Dentine Hypersensitivity.
He has developed with Robert Hill and Periproducts Ltd a nano HA toothpaste and Oral Rinse for the treatment of Dentine Hypersensitivity. Both the toothpaste and oral rinse are patented and the UK patent has been granted and the products are available in the UK.
- Advisory Board for Biomimetic Dentistry
- Professor Shikegi Matsuya Kyushu (Japan)
- Professor Brian Clarkson University of Michigan (USA)
- Professor Kiprianov St Petersburg (Russia)
- Nathan Cochrane University of Melbourne (Australia)
- Toshi Kasuga University of Nagoya (Japan)
- International Congress of Glass Technical Comittees 3 ,4 and 7
- Professor Delia Brauer University of Jena (Germany)
- Facilities for glass synthesis for dental porcelains bioactive glassses and ionomer glasses
- Laser particle size
- Differential Scanning Calorimetry
- FTIR/Raman Spectroscopy
- NMR Spectroscopy
- X-ray Microradiography
- X-ray Microtomography
- Mechanical Testing
Professor Robert Hill
Professor of Physical Sciences in relation to Dentistry
+44 20 7882 5974 (Phone)
+44 20 7882 7979 (Fax)
Dental Physical Sciences Unit
2nd Fl. Francis Bancroft Building
Queen Mary, University of London
Mile End Road
- Dr Maisoon Al-Jawad - Senior Lecturer in Dental Physical Sciences
- Professor Paul Anderson - Professor of Oral Biology
- Dr Aylin Baysan - Clinical Senior Lecturer in Oral Bioengineeering
- Professor Alan Boyde - Professor of Mineralised Tissue Biology
- Dr Michael Cattell - Reader in Dental Technology and Biomaterials
- Professor B S Chong - Professor of Restorative Dentistry/Honorary Consultant, Endodontic Lead and Director, Postgraduate Endodontic Programmes
- Dr Janet Davies - Clinical Senior Lecturer/Honorary Consultant in Paediatric Dentistry
- Professor Graham Davis - Professor of 3D X-ray Imaging
- Dr Padhraig Fleming - Reader/Honorary Consultant in Orthodontics
- Dr David Gillam - Clinical Senior Lecturer and Specialist in Periodontology
- Professor Robert Hill - Chair in Dental Physical Sciences, Research Director
- Dr Natalia Karpukhina - Senior Lecturer
- Mrs Swati Nehete - Clinical Senior Lecturer(Hon.Clinical Assistant)
- Dr Sandra Parker - Senior Lecturer
- Dr Mangala Patel - Reader in Biomaterials in Relation to Dentistry / Senior Tutor (Dentistry)
- Dr Simon Rawlinson - Senior Lecturer in Oral Biology
- Dr S K Sidhu - Reader/Honorary Consultant in Restorative Dentistry
- Dr Phil Taylor - Professor of Prosthodontics Consultant in Restorative Dentistry Clinical Director Dentistry, OMFS & Ophthalmology Network Director Dentistry & OMFS Regional Dental Advisor North London RCS Edin
- Professor Ferranti Wong - Professor & Honorary Consultant of Paediatric Dentistry Interim Dean/Director of Institute of Dentistry Programme Lead of DClinDent (Paed Dent) SAB (Paed Dent) Chair, FDSRCS(Ed)
- Dr Lifong Zou - Clinical Scientist in Medical Physics, Honorary Clinician