New Dental School and Hospital
11 June 2014
Our brand new Dental School – the UK’s first new dental school and hospital to open in nearly 40 years – has officially opened its doors.
Embedded within £78 million Royal London Dental Hospital, it houses the most modern and technologically advanced dental facilities in the UK following more than a decade of planning and work.
QMUL will train around 400 dental students in the new facilities each year, making up an active part of the hospital’s clinical workforce. The new facilities aim to significantly improve the educational experience for dental students, providing access to cutting edge technology and training.
Clinical functionality and innovative technology are at the very heart of the new surroundings. The new design stemmed from collaboration with dentists and dental nurses, enabling staff to lead the way in patient care, education and clinical research.
Occupying an area equivalent to almost three football pitches, the new dental hospital includes:
- 111 dental operatories with high tech digital operation and lighting
- 22 self-contained rooms for complex consultations and treatments
- State-of-the-art facial scanning equipment
- Cutting-edge digital imaging technology
- Sophisticated interactive teaching equipment including 72 technologically advanced patient simulation centres
- 32 operating microscopes to enhance operative capability
- Superb laboratory facilities with CAD (Computer Aided Design) and CAM (Computer Aided Manufacturing) technology
- Improving dental health of the local community of Whitechapel and beyond is also central to the aims of the new dental school and hospital.
Watch our short film showcasing the technology, learning and research within the new Dental School here: